The Africa Nutritional Epidemiology Conference (ANEC) is the Flagship event of the African Nutrition Society, organized biennially in different African countries with the partnership of local nutrition societies.
ANS Awards and Fellowships
The Nevin Scrimshaw Award
Instituted in 2008, this is a prestigious award conferred on individuals who have a proven track record of distinguished services to international nutrition. This award is given in collaboration with the Nevin Scrimshaw International Nutrition Foundation (NS-INF) in recognition of Scrimshaw’s pioneering work in international nutrition.
Former Recipients of the Nevin Scrimshaw Award for distinguished services to international nutrition:
- 2010: Prof Charlotte Neumann UCLA, School of Public Health. (USA)
- 2012: Prof Hester Hendrina (Este) Vorster (South Africa)
The ANEC Award
This is a special award given by the African Nutrition Society (ANS) to an individual within Africa who has a proven track record of services to nutrition and health in Africa. Such individuals are normally nominated by the ANEC host country.
Former Recipients of the ANEC Award:
- 2006: Prof (Emeritus) Fred Sai, (Ghana) for distinguished services to reproductive health and child nutrition in the West Africa region
- 2008: Prof (Emeritus) Mamdour Gabr (Egypt) for distinguished services to nutrition and health in the Mediterranean region
- 2010: Prof. Nimrod Bwibo, (Kenya) for outstanding contribution to Community and child nutrition in the East Africa region
- 2012: Mrs. Julia Tagwireyi (Zimbabwe) for outstanding contribution to nutrition in Africa