THE AFRICAN NUTRITION SOCIETY
(July 13, 2020)
Call for Nominations
The African Nutrition Society Trustees hereby grant membership of the Society the opportunity to send in nominations for consideration by the Trustees for the following position:
President of the African Nutrition Society (ANS)
The duration of the mandate is two years with the possibility of a further two years extension. The following criteria will be applied in selecting the suitable candidate, who will be responsible for ensuring that the activities of the Society are undertaken in accordance with the ANS Constitution and regulatory frameworks of the Society.
The elected person will be wholly accountable to the ANS Board of Trustees and its entire membership in the execution of their duties and as the leader and global representative of the Society and, therefore, should have the following personal specifications and qualifications:
- Ability to assume responsibility for ensuring that the general direction of ANS is consistent with its aims, and that these are pursued energetically, creatively and effectively.
- Ability to work with or connect with the African Union for ANS to engage and contribute to Agenda 2063.
- Ability to lead and provide strategic direction that ensures the Society’s continuing good standing internationally, and its active engagement with regional and international stakeholders and participation in global nutrition and health related activities.
- Ability to assess opportunities and risks.
- Possess a solid scientific foundation, expertise and experience to represent the membership at international consultative events that require the ANS to be an authoritative voice for nutrition in Africa and globally.
- Have the capacity to lead a team and work closely and harmoniously with the Board of Trustees to ensure the delivery of the Society’s agreed strategic plans.
- Ability to develop and support leadership within the Society and the wider African nutrition and nutrition related community.
- Ability to guide and assume the effective management and oversight of the Society’s budget.
A known and respected person well established in the nutrition fraternity with a track record that fulfills the above criteria.
An active member of the Society with significant contribution to the Society’s work and/or a commitment to the philosophy and agenda of the Society, also within the ANS affiliations (eg. IUNS, FANUS).
An international and regional outlook and evidence of engagement with the nutrition and nutrition related communities.
A commitment to teamwork, and with a clear vision for growing the Society and contributing to its central place as an independent international nutrition professional body.
Be conversant or prolific with social media e.g. twitter, Linkedin, for promoting the ANS and its key issues.
Preference will be given to a senior academic with a good track record, based in a research or institution of higher learning or a similar individual working in the field who can actively commit sufficient amounts of their time to the Society’s work.
The chosen candidate must have flexibility to commit sufficient amounts of their time for ANS activities.
Closing Date for Nominations
All nominations must be signed by the Nominee and seconded by TWO paid up (active) members of the Society and addressed to the ANS Trustees via e-mail to: Prof Wilna Oldewage-Theron (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) accompanied by a word-processed full personal history (not exceeding 2 pages of A4, Times New Roman font size 12) on or before August 15, 2020. All applicants must include a one page vision statement of what they want ANS to achieve and how they see their role as President of ANS. The result of the selection by the Trustees will be announced and published on the ANS Website and in the ANM Newsletter “eight” weeks following the date limit of the call for nominations.